Top Deck - Restaurant Review - Southbank

The Top Deck Restaurant (Southgate Centre, U1/2 Southgate Avenue, Southbank VIC 3006) is an unassuming yet attractive restaurant on Southbank.  I say unassuming as it looks attractive but without the pretension.


Top Deck is a place I am more than happy to recommend.  Probably a bit of a sleeper in that sense.  While there are many more well known places you really should go here at least once.  I'm sure you'll be happy.
Top Deck has a nice modern feel and look even if it might feel a bit cramped.  There is plenty of natural light and of course it is centrally located so its perfect before going to any event near Southbank.  Even better, for its very good quality the pricing is very fair.
As you'll see, Top Deck serves contemporary European food.  It's all very immaculately presented but most importantly it tastes great.  Presentation needs to go hand in hand with taste and this is certainly the case as Top Deck.
Duck and prune terrine, mustard, pear and cornichons
Duck and prune terrine, mustard, pear and cornichons 
In many ways Top Deck is perfectly setup for those going out to events later in the evening.  Pay attention to their two and three course meal sets and you'll grab yourself a high class bargain.
Pork belly, crushed parsnips with apple
Pork belly, crushed parsnips with apple
Pork belly is becoming run of the mill these days but that doesn't mean I'm not going to try it.  It is one of my favourites despite the danger to my health.  Top Deck's pork belly is delicately plated and tastes superb.  It's a nice serving size and a nice combination of ingredients.  Most importantly. the skin is perfectly crispy.  I am tempted having another even as I write this. Yum!
The crumbed sea bream also tastes great.  It's probably a bit sparse on the plate but given this was part of a three course meal its still generous enough.  As you can see, its also very delicate on the plate. Nice.
Crumbed sea bream, cucumber and smoked mussels
Crumbed sea bream, cucumber and smoked mussels
Well, the lamb shoulder was certainly original.  It wasn't really what I imagined but surprises are good.  I'd have to say this wasn't my favourite.  Still, I am all for something different so kudos to Top Deck.  However, if this is on the menu should you go there do think before you buy.
Braised lamb shoulder, pomme puree and rosemary jus
Braised lamb shoulder, pomme puree and rosemary jus
So you guessed it.  I do look forward to going there again soon.

Top Deck
Rating - 4.5

Would I go again - Yes
Would I recommend to a friend - Yes

Telephone: (03) 9699 9544
Address: Southgate Centre, U1/2 Southgate Avenue, Southbank VIC 3006
Reviewed By: Howie Be

Post a Comment

0 Comments