Persimmon - Restaurant Review - NGV (Melbourne, 180 St Kilda Road)

Persimmon restaurant review, NGV, Melbourne by Howie's Melbourne Food Blog Persimmon at the National Gallery of Victoria, 180 St Kilda Rd National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne VIC 3004 is sort of one of those hidden gems.  I can't say I ever imagined a decent recent being located at the NGV.



interior
Nice looking surroundings
In fact, maybe I'm one of the last to know.  This was fully booked on a Saturday afternoon.  In fact they were turning people away.  I was impressed and surprised.



wine
No, they're not giving it away
Persimmon looks suitably modern and spacious.  What's great is the customer service and of course, I believe they have some of the best quality food going around.  The waiting staff was kind of ecletic when I was there but I liked this.  Your mileage may vary.


I'd usually stay clear of restaurants or cafes located at a gallery or museum.  They almost inevitably are average and disappointing.  Persimmon really does itself proud.  The food I tasted is the equal to most finedining restaurants around Melbourne.  They may not have the branding or name recognition but the quality of food is definitely amongst the best.

souffle

Persimmon has a modern, contemporary European influenced menu.  They basically have something for everyone.  Its all kind of familiar yet somehow different.  A credit to the chef and the design of the menu.


Now if Persimmon disappear off the map don't be surprised.  Apparently they are renaming themselves as the rather bland and unexciting 'Garden Restaurant'.  Yep, that sounds really bad.  In fact, you would think it was some kind of joke but unfortunately for them its not.  This is really bad news as it sounds like some kind of cheap Asian restaurant rather than the rather good restaurant that it is.

I surely hope they soon they will see the light and go back to being 'Persimmon' or at least have a distinctive name.  I thought that 'Persimmon' was kind of a cool, contemporary name but that's me.

In any case, as long as the service and the quality stays the same, this is definitely a restaurant for you to try for yourself.  Thoroughly recommended.

Never miss a review by Liking Me at:
  and catch my photo's on Instagram at:
Things to do in West Melbourne and Beyond
If you like to get out and about in the weekends, visit our sister sight that offers ideas on things to do in West Melbourne and Beyond.


Persimmon

Persimmon
Food Type: Western
Telephone: (03) 8620 2434
Address: NGV, 180 St Kilda Rd National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne VIC 3004

Rating: 4 stars
Would I go again: Yes
Would I recommend to a friend: Yes
Reviewed By:

Post a Comment

0 Comments